A Kind of Magic is an unofficial comic story written and drawn by Sarah Jolley. It features Magica De Spell, Gladstone Gander, Scrooge McDuck and, in their debuts, librarian Yasmin and the demons Shax and Andras. Super Snooper is mentioned.
Plot[edit | edit source]
An attempt by Magica De Spell to summon the demon Shax goes wrong when the literal devil escapes his binding and goes after her, angry with the witch for having summoned him at an inopportune time. Magica is forced to seek out Gladstone Gander, hoping his luck will be enough to protect the both of them from the upset abomination.
References[edit | edit source]
- Shax is a Great Marquis of Hell.
- Magica De Spell claims that "this isn't her first summoning".
- While in the Duckburg Library, Gladstone, who only occasionally reads from the occult section as a hobby, mostly reads Super Snooper comics; in point of fact, he is seen to settle down with Super Snooper - 70th Anniversary.
- Magica, to research how to unsummon the demon, uses the Ars Goetia Revised Edition.
Continuity[edit | edit source]
- Magica De Spell once more teases Gladstone Gander about "the Matilda incident", dressing up in her Matilda disguise again, in reference to A Gal For Gladstone (2004).
- The source of Gladstone's Luck is once more seen to be the Sign of the Triple Distelfink, as in The Sign of the Triple Distelfink (1998).
- This story would gain a prequel of sorts in the form of The Dark Cabaret (2020); set in 1894, the prose story shows how Shax came to forget to file his taxes and how the Ars Goetia Revised Edition came to be.
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
This story is one of a series of unofficial homages to the characters written and drawn by Sarah Jolley (author of the acclaimed comic The Property of Hate). It was released in 2017 for free on the Internet.
The story contains three minor nods at other fandoms to which Jolley belongs: the librarian has a Moomin plush on her desk in one panel, and Sonic Screwdrivers (from Doctor Who) and the Umbrastaff (from The Adventure Zone) are mentioned in Magica's spellbook as types of artifact comparable to Magic Wands, alongside regular Staves.