Battle of Petras is a comic story written by Vic Lockman, penciled by Tony Strobl and inked by Steve Steere. It features Donald Duck, Scrooge McDuck, Gyro Gearloose, and, in their debuts, Salamander the Great, Naman, Prince Petra, the Superspy of Petras.
Scrooge McDuck and Donald Duck uses Gyro Gearloose's latest model of time machine to travel back thousands of years to the Battle of Petras, in an effort to obtain a rare coin. But the Ducks just can't help interfering once they're there…
- One of the last Battle of Petras Pennies, originally issued at the conclusion of the Battle of Petras by Salamander the Great, was kept at the Duckburg Museum of Ancient Stuff until the Ducks' traveling back in time in the B.C. Buggy accidentally changed the course of history, erasing the Battle from time.
- The Battle had opposed Salamander City and the city of Petras, led by Prince Petra.
- The story explicitly dates itself to 1965, the year of its creation and release.
- In the revised timeline, Petras was able to celebrate its 100th anniversary (implying it was a rather young city when Salamander tried to invade it), and issues at least one 100-Year Penny in commemoration.
- The later story Trip to Tootum-Too (1982) uses a similar plot of Scrooge McDuck traveling back to ancient times in a Gyro Gearloose time machine and becoming embroiled in the war between two rival middle-eastern peoples, in this case Tootum-Too and the Toogs. Curiously, much like the cities of Petras and Salamander City were, in the 1965 story, ruled by Prince Petra and Salamander the Great respectively, the 1982 tale's King Tootum-Too also shares his name with the nation he rules,
Behind the scenes
This story was first published in May of 1965 in Walt Disney's Comics and Stories #296. It was reprinted in Walt Disney's Comics and Stories #444, as well as in the Australian Walt Disney's Comics #231 and #377.