Blueprint for Murder is a comic story written & drawn by Jon Hastings. It features the Ghost Host (here identified with Master Gracey), as well as Mr Davis and Mr Coats, identified as the Coffin Occupant and Floating Candelabra respectively. The names of Crump, Atencio, Ravenscroft, Sklar, Anderson, Mister Frees and Yale G. are seen.
The Ghost Host tells the story of the two architects whom, as Master Gracey, he hired to build the Haunted Mansion. That story soon turns somber as the two rival craftsmen start plotting to assassinate each other and take all the credit for this one-of-a-kind architectural creation!
- Within the story, Mr Coats is said to have invented the Coats Automatic Hydraulic Coffinizer.
- Books by Crump, Atencio, Ravenscroft, Sklar, Anderson, Frees and Yale G. are visible in the architects' study.
- In the Library scene of Walt Disney World's The Haunted Mansion (1971), a two-volume book entitled The Art of Deception, written by one Claude Coats, can be seen. It is unclear if the story's "Mr Coats" and he are to be taken as the same individual.
- The reliability of the Ghost Host's story is called into question by The Haunted Mansion (2016) and Mystery of the Manse (2005), which both state that the Ghost Host was not the first owner of the Mansion, whereas he (as Master Gracey) is here shown to have been the one to supervise its construction.
- The Haunted Mansion Pop-Up Book (1994), meanwhile, implies that Master Gracey himself was the Coffin Occupant, rather than Mr Davis.
- The 2011 changes to the queue area of the Walt Disney World The Haunted Mansion|Haunted Mansion (1971) added tombstones for individuals whose names appear in this story as the authors of books read by Coats and Davis: Frees and Ravenscroft.
Behind the scenes
This story only ever published in October of 2005 in SLG's The Haunted Mansion #1.