Cupid Fact File #444 — The Faction of the Fooling Fish is a prose story, written by Lupan Evezan. The fifth Cupid Fact File, it features the Crew of the Copper-Colored Cupids and the Faction of the Fooling Fish, as well as obliquely referencing the Horde of the Violet Hare. Individual Cupids playing a part in the story include Colonel-028, Acquaintanceship-982 and Bibliophile-962. The character of Archibald Fishflipper is also mentioned.
Like other Cupid Fact Files, the short story purports itself to be a digitized version of a file from the Crew of the Copper-Colored Cupids' Archives, detailing information about a target that is, or was once, of interest to the Crew. In this case, it is the secret organization known as the Faction of the Fooling Fish, who end up highjacking the file themselves…
- The Cupid Intelligence Institute includes a Department of Documentation which keeps the Cupid Archives supplied, as well as a Department of Rifts. Members of the former are called Recorder Cupids.
- For cases not requiring the attention of the elite Scarlet Wings, the Crew of the Copper-Colored Cupids sends in the nigh-untrained Blue Feather.
- The Faction were founded by Archibald Fishflipper.
- The account of Archibald Fishflipper's foundation of the Faction of the Fooling Fish is consistent with that of the origins of the various Horde of the Violet Hare copycats given in Hare-Brained Hooligans (2018).
- Like in the Joe Torcivia's The Issue At Hand comments where they made their debut, the Fish's first interaction with the Copper-Colored Cupids saw them try to play April's Fools tricks days too late, and then attempt to brainwash their victims into forgetting it wasn't April the 1st.
- This story introduces the Rifts plot point given more heft as “the Rifts Crisis” in The Mad Cupid of the Euclidean Plane (2019), becoming a recurring story arc throughout the Crew of the Copper-Colored Cupids series and eventually dovetailing into the events of the DuckTales 2017 episode Let's Get Dangerous! (2020).
Behind the scenes
This short story was released in 2019 on the Crew of the Copper-Colored Cupids website and later collected in The Quintessential Cupid, where it was given a new illustration as well as supplemented with a “Tech Note” from Technician-042 tying in with other such Tech Notes seeded throughout the book.