Dopey is a male dwarf.
Dopey is one of the Seven Dwarfs living together in their cottage in an enchanted kingdom in the Black Forest, and spends his days mining for jewels with the others. Dopey is the most youthful out of the seven, often being scatterbrained or mischievous; but that doesn't mean, whatever his name might suggest, that he's stupid or unhelpful. Indeed, Dopey has proved on many occasions that if things get dire, he can be the bravest and most dependable of the Dwarfs. Dopey never talks, apparently because he "never thought to try". Along with his siblings, Dopey took Snow White in after she fled from her stepmother's murderous intentions, and loves her dearly.
Behind the scenes
Dopey first appeared in 1937 in Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.
Dopey is the most popular out of the Dwarfs, and in early stages of production, was meant to make a return in Fantasia as the Sorcerer's Apprentice in the titular sequence — a role that eventually went to Mickey Mouse, whose outfit in that sequence is actually a color-altered version of Dopey's usual clothing.
- Eddie Collins (voice effects in Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs)
- Jimmy MacDonald (misc. vocal work in Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs)
- Pinto Colvig (hiccups during the washing scene in Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs)
- Michael E. King (Musical)
- Frank Welker (recurring modern voice)