Getting Thor is a comic story written and drawn by Carl Barks. It features Gyro Gearloose, the Little Helper and a picture of Thor, and, in their debuts, Old Blackie and the Fiercest, Fightingest Scarecrow That Ever Snorted Fire. The Storm Gods are mentioned.
Gyro Gearloose, having trouble with crows who seem bent on eating his strawberries, works hard on inventing the fiercest scarecrow ever designed. However, Little Helper has a simpler, more whimsical plan: he dresses up as Thor and scares the birds away riding a flying chariot he created.
- Gyro Gearloose is seen using the bulky Steam Back Scratcher, whose patent was “refused”.
- The Little Helper reads the book The Life of Thor, an illustrated retelling of the Norse god's life. According to it, Thor and his mighty hammer “battled the Storm Gods”.
- Gyro's Lab comes with a garden where Gyro grows strawberries.
- Old Blackie, whom Gyro knows on sight, is hailed as “the smartest crow in seventeen states”.
- The Helper chases Old Blackie and his murder of crows out of Duck County and into Goose Egg County.
- Gyro is put-out by this, as he had just invented “the Fiercest, Fightingest Scarecrow That Ever Snorted Fire” and now has no birds on which to test it.
- The Little Helper is once more seen reading The Life of Thor in the unofficial comic story An Exquisite Duck! (2020), in a panel which also contains many other references to Gyro stories by Carl Barks.
Behind the scenesEdit
First printed in 1957 Uncle Scrooge #21, this story was then reprinted in Uncle Scrooge #209 and, of course, in all versions of the Carl Barks Library.