The Ghost Host is the ghost of a male human.
The definitive Ghost Host, "head man of the Haunted Mansion's skeleton crew", is a powerful ghost with a dark sense of humor and a deep booming voice who guides mortal guests through his manor-house. Though he affects to disregard their safety, it seems this can be mostly chalked up to his usual black wit… although he may have been an actual murderer in life.
Speaking of which, the Ghost Host's story is as elusive as that of other ghosts in the Mansion, if not moreso — for the Host, whom some purport to not even remember his actual past, himself delights in telling tales about the Mansion's past, one of his favorites making him out to be a handsome reformed pirate called William Gracey. Whether he even owned the Mansion in life is unclear, though at the least it is certain he died there, by hanging himself in the "Stretching Room". Although he prefers to remain invisible, the Ghost Host has taken a variety of physical forms, from a floating skull to a noose-wearing, wild-haired ghoul of a man who is probably closest to his appearance in life besides these details. A Ghost Kid once referred to the Ghost Host as “daddy”, and he once implied he had enjoyed the wireless while he was alive.
The title of “Ghost Host” has occasionally been held by other individuals heading tours of the Haunted Mansion, though the one true Ghost Host would likely disapprove. They include the Ghost Host's fellow spook the Hatbox Ghost, the part-time Mansion haunt Uncle Deadly, and, on one occasion in 1952, the witch Phyllis Diller.
Behind the scenes
The Ghost Host first appeared as a part of the Haunted Mansion attraction in Disneyland, which opened in 1969.
- Paul Frees (iconic voice actor in the original Haunted Mansion rides, also in contingent material such as the Haunted Mansion Radio Spots)
- X. Atencio (breakdown spiel in the rides)
- Joe Leahy (additional 2002 safety spiel in the rides)
- Pete Renaday (The Story and Song of the Haunted Mansion)
- Tony Jay (Disney's Ha Ha Halloween)
- Rick Baker (2003 film; actually an alternate version of the character; body only)
- Joe Leahy (additional safety spiels in the ride)
- Fred Frees (The Haunted Mansion 30th Anniversary CD)
- Corey Burton (current classic voice actor)
- Kevin Michael Richardson (HalloWishes)
- Nick Barbera (The Haunted Mansion Show; unofficial)
- Aristide Twain (Leota Helps Out; unofficial)
Notes and References
- As he is described in an official guidebook for new Disneyland employees.
- As mentioned in Happy Haunts.
- As shown in Mystery of the Manse.
- In Disney's Ha Ha Halloween.
- As seen, among other things, in the various versions of the Hatchet Man portrait in the rides.
- As seen, or rather, heard, in A Human Story (1969).
- In the episode A Chilling Plan for the Future of the unofficial Haunted Mansion Show.
- As seen in the Tales of Two Cities webseries.
- In the D23 Haunted Mansion 50th Anniversary Presentation in 2019.
- In the 1972 TV special Spooks and Magic.