Go, Go, Golden Years! is a DuckTales 2017 comic written by Joey Cavalieri and drawn by Andrea Greppi, Cristina Stella, Emilio Urbano ad Michela Frare. It features the 2017 Continuum versions of Donald Duck, Scrooge McDuck and Huey, Dewey and Louie Duck, and, in their debuts, Doctor Quackmire Quantum, Rip Van Wrinkle and the Headhunters. Ernest Henintheway is mentioned.
After a close call involving a tribe of headhunters, a mad scientist and a crew of pirates, Scrooge McDuck begins to believe that he's getting to old to continue his adventures. Can a experimental medical procedure cure him of his weakening body?
- Although not actually sure how it works himself, Doctor Quackmire Quantum intends to use the Golden Calf of Latte as “the final component of [his] Caffeine Bomb”. The Calf actually contains a handful of supernaturally-strong coffee beans.
- Scrooge McDuck considers going to the Amazon, to the Klondike, to the Steppes, to Tibet, to Tanganyika, to Iceland and to Tokyo.
- The Galapagosling Islands are home to long-lived turtles with very slow metabolisms, which Rip Van Wrinkle has managed to duplicate in gas form.
- Scrooge and Ernest Henintheway once watched flamenco dancers “at the running of the bulls in Pamplona”.
- Despite Scrooge McDuck's mention of Tokyo in the final panel, the 2017 Continuum counterpart to the real-life Tokyo would appear under the altered name of Tokyolk in the later, televised episodes Astro B.O.Y.D.! (2020).
- Rip Van Wrinkle and his lab reappear in The Risk McDuck Refused (2018).
Behind the scenes
A Series of Unfortunate Substitutions was the first story in IDW's DuckTales #5, paired with A Series of Unfortunate Substitutions.