About 3 feet tall but no less sportive for it, Mickey Mouse is one of Donald Duck's closest friends. He lives in Mouseton and is engaged to the lovely Minnie Mouse; other close friends of his include Goofy and Horace as well as his pet dog, Pluto. Mickey is heroic to ridiculous extents and has little if any flaws at all. If anything, he can be too naive because of his overly 'nice' worldview. He has also been known to be somewhat mischievous, though never in a really harmful way.
Mickey has had a variety of jobs, but overall, his occupation can hardly be called anything other than "hero". Most of his time is spent uncovering evil plots (he has actually been a deputy detective to the Mouseton police since 1939) and battling his ever-eluding archnemeses, the brutal Peg-Leg Pete and the diabolical Phantom Blot.
Behind the scenes
Mickey Mouse was first created by Walt Disney and Ub Iwerks for the cartoon short, Plane Crazy, which was produced in 1928. However, the short would not be widely released until 1929. The first Mickey Mouse to be widely distributed was Steamboat Willie, which was released on November the 18th, 1928. Steamboat Willie's use of synchronized sound would help Mickey to skyrocket in popularity. The Mickey Mouse film series would continue to have new installments released on a regular basis throughout the 1920's and 1930's.
Beginning in 1930 with Lost on a Desert Island, Mickey Mouse would headline his own daily comic strip that would continue until 1995. It was through this strip that well-known stories such as Mickey Outwits the Phantom Blot and important supporting characters like Chief O'Hara and Eega Beeva were created.
Mickey is the most famous character in the Walt Disney franchise and something of a pop culture icon.
Notes & References
- Walt Disney (Classical voice from 1928 to 1959)
- Carl Stalling (Wild Waves)
- Stan Freberg (Mickey Mouse's Birthday Party)
- Clarence Nash (The Dognapper, Nash Commercials)
- Alan Young (An Adaptation of Dickens' Christmas Carol)
- Roger Carel (Dickens's Christmas Carol and various French dubs)
- Wayne Allwine (Classical voice from 1977 to 2009))
- Pete Renaday (The Talking Mickey Mouse Show)
- Jack Wagner (A Magic Kingdom Yuletide Special)
- Bret Iwan (Classical voice since 2009)
- Chris Diamantopoulos (Alternate voice since 2013)
- Azran Bin Ahmad (Mickey Go Local)