Invented by Gyro Gearloose and tasting very strongly of black licorice, Oxy-Chew allows the user to breathe in an oxygen-less area as long as they continue to chew it. Oxy-Chew also provides nutrients, enough that the chewer does not require any other source of sustenance if they are chewing it, and appears to protect from the other adverse effects of living on an atmosphere-less planet. One piece lasts indefinitely, and the licorice flavour only intensifies as it is chewed.
At least one piece of Oxy-Chew (possibly more) was packed aboard the Spear of Selene. This saved Della Duck's life after she crash-landed on the Moon, her spacesuit helmet cracking in the process. Although the gum worked as intended, Della was not pleased with the black licorice flavor of Oxy-Chew. Despite this, the lack of other oxygen or food forced her to continue to chew the gum throughout her time spent on the Moon.
Behind the scenes
- The original Oxy-Chew is a type of taffy, whereas this Oxy-Chew is a brand of chewing gum.
- The original Oxy-Chew was seemingly created just for Scrooge's trip to the Moon, whereas this Oxy-Chew appears to be a mass-produced product.
- The original Oxy-Chew only requires the user to chew it five times, after which it would work seemingly indefinitely, whereas this Oxy-Chew requires the user to chew it the entire time they wish it to work.
- The original Oxy-Chew is only known to provide oxygen, whereas this Oxy-Chew provides nutrition as well.
- The original Oxy-Chew's awful flavour is due to the fact that it is also oxygen-flavoured, while this Oxy-Chew's flavour is that of black licorice.