The Resurrection of the Wellsians is a prose story written & drawn by Aristide Twain. It features the Crew of the Copper-Colored Cupids, including Governor-105, Pythagoras-858, Juliet-178, Edwin-750, Carter-1277, Dactylopius-177, Digger-291, Mandragora-257, Paintbrush-122, Goliath-329, as well as the Wellsians Radluhac ag-Wampyr, Forga sog-Forgos, Skollops ag-Warka, Sympus ag-Forgos, Sellane ag-Narra, Mizrax ag-Ustis and Retsha sog-Wampyr. Emperor Karshassinwellshkhan III, the Drove of the Database-Compiling Dromedaries, Aphrodite, the Sisters of Juliet, Colonel-028, the Cupid Prime, Napoléon Bonaparte, Alexander the Great, Nostradamus-066, Thymon, Tutenkhamen, Howard Carter and Hermes are also mentioned.
- The home universe of the Wellsians is known by that name to the Cupids' Department of Documentation, but is also called "Earth-HG66" by the Drove of the Database-Compiling Dromedaries.
- Wellsia lost its water (previously carried across the planet in canals) due to cosmic rays “which the Martian ozone barrier could no longer reflect” due to the Wellsians pumping down all the ozone in question.
- The Cupid Homeworld has Psychic Receptors capable of receiving messages from other dimensions where the Cupids have bases.
- The Council of Frogs "turned a blind eye" to the construction of the Cupids' base on Venus due to it being an uninhabited planet.
- Dactylopius coccus, better-known as the common cochineal, is an insect of the order Sternorrhyncha, from whose defensive acid a red dye can be created.
- Mandragora-257 used to belong to the Crew's Department of Alchemy.
- Carter-1277 took his name from the archeologist who uncovered Tutenkhamen's tomb, which Carter believes was cursed.
- Pythe mentions the Crew's Department of Supplies and its Department of Artistry.
- The story serves as a sequel to The Wellsians (2019), an earlier comedy retelling of H. G. Wells's The War of the Worlds. It picks up the sequel hook at the end of the webcast, of the Crew of the Copper-Colored Cupids discovering the crashed remains of the Wellsians' Tripod on Venus, although the circumstances of this event in The Resurrection of the Wellsians don't fit the visuals in 'The Wellsians.
- The comic strip All That Sparkles Is Not Concrete (2019) takes place some time prior to the events of this story, showing why Morningstar 1 was made out of gold.
- Juliet-178 mentions the fact that in the Prime Universe, Venus is inhabited, as shown in Uncle Scrooge's Money Rocket (1960).
- Carter-1277 and Juliet-178 discuss the events of The Labors of Juliet (2019) and Of Romeos and Juliets (2019), recalling that there now exist 1618 female Cupids, cut down to 1576 by infighting and banished to an asteroid in the the 1579th Dimension.
- Mandragora-257 is aware of Pythagora-858 having played a role in “binding the demon Thymon”. This is a reference to Lord Thymon and the Department of Problem-Solving (2019) and also foreshadows Mandragora's own interest in demon-summoning in The Dark Cabaret (2020).
- Among the Governor's guards are “three non-shrunken Mark 4s” and two shrunken ones, referencing Scaled-Up Soldier (2019) and establishing that some Mark 4s were eventually shrunken to a more normal size.
- Plagiarism of the SavageMen (2019) partially acts as an epilogue to this story, showing what happened to Paintbrush-122 after he returned to the Cupid Homeworld.
- The fate of the five Wellsians who escaped Venus was depicted in The Frost King's Treasure (2019).
Behind the scenes
This short story was released in September of 2019 on the Crew of the Copper-Colored Cupids website.