The Wellsians is a short cartoon webcast. Part of the The Cupid Archives series, it was created by Aristide Twain, and features several anonymous members of the Crew of the Copper-Colored Cupids as well as the Wellsians.
- The Martians know their own planet by the name of “Wellsia”, hence their own name for themselves, “the Wellsians”.
- The Wellsians form an Empire.
- The Wellsians blasted themselves from Mars to Earth using “what is known in the business as a Really Bloody Big Cannon”. It was after their arrival on Earth that they created Tripods.
- This story was released on the Crew of the Copper-Colored Cupids with a short prose framing device, Cupid Fact File No. 057 — The Wellsians (2019).
- This story is a retelling of H. G. Wells's The War of the Worlds, whose events are shown to be broadly applicable as real history to the 97th Cosmos. More-or-less detailed retellings of the same story previously existed in Mars and Beyond (1957) and War of the Worlds (1987), which depicted the Wellsian Martians and their invasion of Earth as being fictional in the Prime Universe.
- The end of this story sees Cupids observing the crashed Martian escape pod on Venus. This sets up the events of The Resurrection of the Wellsians (2019), although the circumstances do not quite match, as in the sequel in question, the Martian ship is long buried beneath the sands of Venus when the Cupids discover it and awaken the Wellsians.
Behind the scenes
This short was released on the 25th of July on Aristide Twain's YouTube Channel.