The Wackiest Paper in Duckburg is the first issue of WAK!, written by Jacques Lelièvre and illustrated by Gilles Corre (plus additional art lifted from Carl Barks). It features Donald Duck, Fethry Duck, Gladstone Gander, the Beagle Boys, Daisy Duck, Gyro Gearloose and Magica De Spell. Darkwing Duck, Mickey Mouse, Huey, Dewey and Louie Duck, Goofy, Ellsworth Bheezer, and Zeke Wolf are also mentioned, as well as one-shot character Geert Vander Donckt.
The first issue of WAK!, for now devoid of an overarching theme. Contents include:
- An editorial message by Fethry Duck;
- The "really fake mail" section, wherein what is obviously a false reader's letter inquires about… its own falsehood;
- An ad for the Beagle Boys' "Fitness Therapy" which relieves of you of the weight of your wallet;
- Three pages of news ("Duckburg Gossip"), including:
- Gladstone Gander winning the lottery,
- The Beagle Boys escaping from prison and taking to counterfeiting,
- Gladstone and Daisy being caught shopping together in town,
- Donald getting injured while trying out a parachute,
- Fethry Duck failing to stay awake for a whole day's work for the 1547th time in a row,
- One Geert Vander Donckt having rediscovered a centuries-old recipe to brew green beer (Gyro Gearloose comments that he has invented solid beer, but fears it'll never catch on).
- The "number of the month": 475,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 Francs and 15 cents, the current amount of Donald Duck's debt to Scrooge McDuck;
- McDuck quote of the month: "Let's celebrate our good sales! Rainwater on the house for everyone!";
- An ad for a graphic novel starring Darkwing Duck;
- A D.I.Y. section which offers a wallpaper pattern consisting of a lot of pictures of Donald Duck (which the author, one D.D., insists is very fetching);
- Three bizarre classified ads;
- A multiple-choice test that allows the reader to find out whether or not they are, in fact, an alien from outer space;
- The Magicascope, a horoscope page written by Magica De Spell which replaces the signs of the Zodiac with famous Duckburgers and Mousetonians.
Behind the scenes
Like all other issues of WAK! to this day, Issue One was only ever published once, namely in the French Super Picsou Géant #58. It has never had an English printing.